Valley (with Sundridge and Chevening known as the "archbishop's
Garden". long connected with See of Canterbury, with living in
Formerly Briestede in Domesday Book 1986; Bradesteda in Textus
Roffenois 1115, perhaps meaning "Broad Settlement" the Parish
was 8 miles by 1 mile (now 5 by 1) to include six different
types of soil.
The North Downs run through North of parish, highest point 772
The Sandstone Ridge is parallel, further to the South, Toys Hill
801 feet, between these flows the River Darent, rising in
Westerham to dartford, then with the River Cray it joins the
Thames opposite Purfleet.
The Pilgrims Way from Winchester to Canterbury runs between the
North Downs and M25 Motorway.
Bloodins Field to the East Hogtrough Hill (opposite the
Limeworks) was the scene of a battle in about AD900 when some
say the Saxons defeated the Danes.
Brasted Cross a very ancient stone is now on the bridge which
crosses the Parish boundary in the private park of Brasted
The Holy Well is just in Westerham Parish near Pilgrims Way.
The Stocks and Prisoners Cage were formerly on the Village Green
where an annual fair was held on Holy Thursday. Brasted was once
divided into VILLE (Town) and UPLAND (Chart or Forest).
The Manor of Brasted has been held by:-
773 - 1066 Priory of Christchurch, Canterbury - Landfranc,
Norman Archbishop of Canterbury
Haimo de Crevequer, Under Archbishop of Canterbury - De Clare,
earls of Gloucester, 400 years
Hugh de Audley, Earl of Gloucester - Earl of Stafford, KG. Crown
Henry VIII - Sir H.Isley
Crown Queen Elizabeth - S. Lennard, Lord Dacre and Family,
Major General J. Stanhope, 1st Earl Stanhope and Family until
Festival Year 1951, then held by the 7th Earl Stanhope KG., PC.,
DSO,. MC. until his death in August 1967.
Brasted Place (formerly Stockets, later Crow Place: an Adam
House, but with large additions about 1860)
Some Owners of Brasted Place :-
Walter de Stocket; Richard Boare; Thomes Crowe; Robert Heath,
Chief Justice; George Verney, Lord Willoughby; Dr Turton
(Physician to George III), William Tipping; Leslie Urquhart;
Prince Louis Napoleon (Napoleon III)
launched his futile invasion of France in 1840 when living here.
ST. Martins Church on site of old Saxon Church, rebuilt in 1866
except early English tower (about 1250), Stocket Chapel (North
Transept) belonged always to owners of Brasted Place until it
became a War Memorial Chapel after the first World War. The
Church suffered considerable damage from a "flying" bomb in
1944, which fell 60 yards from the East End, destroying nearly
all the windows, as well as the organ and roof. The Church, with
the exception of the tower, was seriously damaged by fire on the
4th November 1989. It has subsequently been rebuilt with only
slight modifications to the exterior and the interior layout.
During The 1939 - 1945 War 214 High explosive Bombs, 12 "flying"
Bombs (V-1) and uncounted Incendiaries fell on Brasted, which
was in the direct line between London and France and the Battle
of Britain, two Allied Airmen lost their lives over the village;
and in addition, a german Messerschmidt 110, with a crew of two
was brought down on Outridge Farm September 1st 1940.